Today we will talk about whey protein side effects. Whey protein is a complete protein that could help you building your muscles but do not try to be over smart by taking more whey protein so as to build up your muscles quickly. Because consuming enough protein might be essential requirement to build muscle, but consuming too much can develop some of the known whey protein side effects. As such for everything, too much is never healthy. You always have to set a limit if you want to avoid bad consequences after a prolonged use. Even if something is very important for your body, too much of it will most likely be harmful as well. As water is essential, but in one of the contest people that died for drinking too much water. Similarly, it is likely safe when taken in appropriately amount. But high doses of it can cause some side effects. Some of possible side effects of whey protein are as given below
Whey Protein Powder Side Effects
- You could Gain Unwanted Fat By Excessive Use Of Whey Protein:- Thousand of people use whey protein in daily diet to achieve body that they want, whether to increase or loose weight. However, it might make you fat if used excessively or in inappropriate manner. As such body is able to use just limited number of nutrients per day(as per your body weight) and if you intake more than required number of nutrients, then you’ll definitely gain unwanted weight. Moreover you may consume required appropriate amount of whey protein. But it may contain added sugar, added carbohydrates even fats too. Some whey proteins are particularly designed as weight gainer. So, you must read the label before purchasing it.
- Risk Of Kidney Stones and kidney failure:- It has often been an issue that consuming excessive amount of protein may cause kidney stones. As per research, the main reason behind occurrence of kidney stone is hardening of the components of urine such as calcium, oxalate, uric acid and phosphorus being in imbalance state. However role of protein is such that in case you consume more protein kidney becomes overburdened to perform its function, and thus flushing out those stones become slow. Therefore, we can say that whey protein doesn’t create kidney stones instead it prevents them if they are already there. Thus, if you are already at risk of developing kidney stone then consuming protein may increase that risk. So, you need to avoid intake of whey protein in such case.
- Digestive Distress :-There are high quality of dietary nutrients in the whey protein. But you could benefit only if your body is able to digest it. As per your earlier routine, your body could be able to digest only certain amount of food prescribing specific amount of nutrients. So, if you suddenly intake more food or particular nutrients more than capacity of your digestive system then it will certainly cause digestive distress. Some of the common variations of digestive distress as whey protein side effects are lactose intolerance, constipation problem, intestinal irritation causing abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea etc.
- Constipation Problem:- It is one of the variation of digestive disorder caused by whey protein as such there is null amount of fiber in whey protein. Whereas fiber helps waste products move through intestine reducing the risk of constipation. Therefore, if you consume excessive amount of whey without taking high-fiber food along, it may lead to constipation.
- Lactose Intolerance:- One of the most common whey protein side effect due to digestive disorder is lactose intolerance that mean insufficiency of lactose in body. And, lactose are digestive enzymes produced by small intestine that splits lactose into small sugars, glucose and galactose so as to enable our body to digest it . Lactose molecule is sugar found in milk and other dairy products. Which can’t be absorbed directly from small intestine to blood veins. So, deficiency of lactose will increase the concentration of lactose in small intestine causing abdominal bloating & cramps, farting, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. However in case of whey protein, it is generally claimed that in some of whey products there is very little or no lactose. But the protein is for lactose will remain undigested and will have to experience severe symptoms. Moreover, sudden whey protein can also lead to lactose intolerance as earlier there may be reduced lactose activity which could digest only particular amount of lactose. Suddenly taking more amount could lead to indigestion.
- Intestinal Irritation:- It is also a variation of digestive disorder. It is most uncomfortable side effect of whey protein generally related to lactose intolerance. However, side effects like diarrhea as well as farting could be experienced even though you are not lactose intolerance as such on consuming whey protein, intestinal gas is increased.
- Bloating:- Stickups out of large stomach or belly is most common side effect of whey protein even though you may not be fat. It may be due to indigestion of protein. It is also caused by drinking high fiber protein shakes. However, you need not to cut the fiber from your diet as such as it is very important for any body. Instead start up with less volume of shake and slowly increase volume as per your digestive capacities.
- Ketosis:- Ketosis is a metabolic state in which lots of fat is burned by our body as a source of energy due to lack of carbohydrates which may have a destructive effect on muscles and liver. Therefore, use of excess amount of whey protein and low carbohydrates can lead to experience ketosis state.
- Acne Along With Big Muscles:- It is established that whey protein powder is very effective supplement for building muscles. But along with that it can lead to acne causing spots/pimples around face, chest, upper back, shoulders etc. The reason behind it is raising of IGF-1 hormone that supports growth of muscles. On the same time IGF-1 lead to sebum production that causes acne. Moreover, whey protein also causes insulin spite which leads to oil-production due to overgrowth of skin cells. And thus, it results in breakouts of acne.
- Causes Hair Loss:- Whey protein can also cause hair loss. As such very famous recognized hair transplant surgeon of South Florida, ‘Dr. Larry Shapiro’ discovered that whey protein isolate leads to production of testosterone being constituted of large amount of amino acid and breakdown testosterone into DHT. Which is main cause of hair loss. However, enhanced whey protein concentrate leads to improvement in appearance of hair making them healthy, stronger and fuller looking.
Thus, you may need lots of protein to build up your muscles, but be careful. Whey protein side effects could be uncomfortable and very dangerous depending upon your personal physiology and how you use them. Always go for appropriate amount and quality as per your requirement as well as capacity. You can seek advice of dietitian before adding whey protein to your diet.